May 22, 2011

Sarah Palin WIP ~ Sneak Peek at My Work Process


I started this caricature of Sarah Palin this afternoon and I'm about at the halfway point. I just wanted to make a quick post and give you an idea of my work process. This is a flattened image of the PSD I'm working on right now which is in a very rough state. I always start right on top of my source image and work up from there. The three images are there for a reason. I first do a very quick 2 minute liquify sketch just to get an idea of the direction I want to head in and I put a small version on the left of my canvas for reference. I also place a small image of the source picture on the right side of the canvas and of course the working caricature is in the middle. I do this so I can see my sketch so I know what I'm exaggerating and at the same time I can see the source image so I don't lose likeness. This is about 40-50% complete. I have not even done anything in Liquify at this point. Everything has been manipulated with the warp tool. I'm just getting features in the correct place right now. I will take it into liquify from here to tweak some things and do some reshaping. After that I will do the detail work, textures, hair, levels, saturation, background, repairs, over-painting, etc. Well, that the main process I use to do my work. I will have this finished and posted this evening.




Thanks for stopping by. Have a great day and be inspired!